With it's modern but classic Italian cuisine and emphasis on artisanal and contemporary Northern Italian style, Mediterraneo is often credited with being the first restaurant to bring authentic contemporary Italian cuisine to Sarasota when it first opened in 1996. Still, under that same ownership, Mediterraneo has consistently been rated one of the top restaurants in Florida’s Zagat Survey. The restaurant has received numerous accolades including the acclaimed Insegna Del Ristorante Italiano awarded by The Minister of Agriculture & Commerce in Rome. With its highest honor, inducting the restaurant into its Accademia Italiana della Cucina “Fine Dining Hall of Fame.” Mediterraneo has been rated as Best of the Best in Sarasota Magazine since the first year of opening.
Mediterraneo's warm and friendly atmosphere is distinguished by our unmistakably genuine Italian hospitality. Our recent complete remodel chic interior setting is soft and comfortable. Our walls covered with a series of framed pictures of Italy and its landscape. You will feel like you are having lunch in Firenze or dinner in Milano.
Proprietors Daniele Baroni, Alessandro Rossi, and Giovanni Migliorini work with General Managers Alberto Della Valle and Ernesto De Oliveira to instill a philosophy of “chasing perfection” in the front of the house and in the kitchen. The diligent and meticulous orchestration of Mediterraneo’s three dining rooms ensures a dining experience that far surpasses guests’ expectations night after night. Experienced Italian Master Chefs and a creative culinary team are integral in creating and maintaining the standard of excellence that has become synonymous with Mediterraneo's consistent quality over the past two decades.
Offering an extensive menu with an array of dishes which are sure to satisfy the most sophisticated palate to the simplest of taste, Mediterraneo specializes in fresh seafood, veal, pasta dishes and thin crust, wood-fired pizza. We have a dedicated bakery located directly above the restaurant where all the fresh ciabatta, focaccia, desserts, and pastries are baked, and all of the fresh pastas are made. More about our food:
- Mediterraneo’s most famous dish is the renowned Veal Chop Milanese with fresh arugula & tomato which is a cornerstone to the menu, accompanied by the ever so popular Veal Ossobuco and Tagliata al Gorgonzola.
- Specialty pasta dishes such as ravioli and tortellini served in classic Italian sauces are offered as daily specials. Classic pasta dishes like Lasagna Bolognese, Gnocchi al burro di tartufo and our Linguine Nere can all be found on the menu.
- Daily seafood like Grouper or Branzino and other fresh seafood prepared in a variety of typical Mediterranean style dishes.
- Rated as the best pizza in Sarasota, our wood-fired oven cooks completely authentic Italian style pizza.
- The wine list at Mediterraneo is known throughout Sarasota for both its depth and uniqueness in Italian wine. It has been recognized with a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Wine Director Ernesto De Oliveira works to maintain this reputation by continually searching the for new exciting Italian and Californian gems to add to the list. His undying passion for all wines great and small assures a wine selection that perfectly complements the modern Italian cuisine and enhances the dining experience at Mediterraneo.
- So whether you're celebrating a special occasion or grabbing a quick bite to eat, at Mediterraneo you are always assured the best quality food accompanied by excellent service. All of it thoroughly Italian.